Integrate and automate with Zapier
Zapier is an online service that connects different apps using their API without the need for the user to have any developing skills.
It can be used to integrate web apps. For example:
- - IF a new attendee registers in my event THEN push the attendee as lead to my CRM (e.g. SalesForce)
- - IF a new attendee registers in my event THEN write the attendee details in a shared Google Spreadsheet
It can also be used to automate processes. For example:
- - IF a new purchase is done in my event THEN send an email to the buyer about further information of the event
- - IF a new attendee registers in my event THEN send me an SMS
- - IF the sale of my event starts THEN send an email to the marketing team
Or get creative. For example:
- - IF a new purchase is done in my event THEN flash the light in the entrance of my office
- - IF a new purchase is done in my event THEN play a happy song on my mobile device
To get started you need to sign up at zapier.com. The basic usage is free and might already fit your needs. For some use cases you will need a paid subscription of their service.
To create a new automation select "Make a Zap" and select as "Trigger App" "XING Events" and continue with the creation process.
Sample: Fill Google Sheet with new attendees
- 1. Log in to your Zapier account.
- 2. Click on "Make a Zap" to create a new automation.
- 3. Now you need to select the trigger app (the IF part). Select (or search) for "XING Events":
- 4. Select to which trigger you want to listen. In this sample we select "New attendee"
- 5. Select your XING Events account, or if this is your first Zap with "XING Events", click on "Connect a New Account" and enter your "XING Events API key". To get your "XING Events API key", see our instructions: How to get your API key. You can ether choose to use a "user API key", which means your Zap will be executed if a new attendee registers in any of your events, or use an "event API key" which will trigger a Zap only for new registrations in that specific event.
- 6. To test the trigger, click on "Connect & Continue"
- 7. Zapier is now connecting to your account and is waiting for a first attendee notification to arrive.
- 8. Open xing-events.com in a new browser tab and do a registration in your event. A few seconds later Zapier should receive the "new attendee" notification from our system.
- 9. Click "Continue" and select your target app. We choose "Google Sheets" for this example.
- 10. As action we choose "Create Spreadsheet Row"
- 11. Select your google account, or if this is your first Zap with "Google Sheets", click on "Connect a New Account" and login to your google account.
- 12. Now you need to select your Google Spreadsheet file. Before doing that you need to create one (if you do not have one prepared already):
- 13. Open https://drive.google.com/ in a new browser window and select "New->Google Sheets".
- 14. In the first row of your new spreadsheet write the values you are interested in. E.g. "First name", "Last name", "email",...
- 15. Back at Zapier, select your spreadsheet from the dropdown and your worksheet (the tab in your sheet which is "Sheet1" if you do not use multiple sheets). After selecting it, Zapier will list the column titles you just added to your sheet. If you click on an item you see a list of all the values your previous test purchase produced. Select the value that fits your column and click next.
- 16. Zapier will create a test row. Simply select "Create & Continue" and afterwards select "Finish".
- 17. Now you can give your new Zap a name and turn your Zap "On".
That's it. Now every time someone is registering for your event, you will see a new row magically appear in your Google Sheet:
Additional note: This mechanic can also be used to collect participant data of multiple events (if you use a user API key). If you name a field in multiple events exactly the same (e.g. a checkbox "I want to receive a newsletter") you will get a list with that value combined in one list.